Thank you for your interest in Mini Athletics! To ensure our classes are in line with health and safety procedures and of the highest quality, we encourage parents/guardians to familiarise themselves with the following points:
- All of our classes are delivered by trained coaches.
- We only accept 14 children in every class to ensure the highest quality.
- Before the class starts, children are encouraged to free play with the shooting stars (bean bags) or foam javelins. Please note, the Didee's age group (2-3.5 years) must not play with the foam javelins. However, parents are fully responsible for their children. Coaches may not be able to supervise, as this will be a time when they are available to speak to parents regarding special requirements etc.
- Please inform the coach of any medical conditions and/or special requirements your child may have before the session starts.
- Please keep prams, belongings and non-participating children away from the play zone at all times.
- Children should come in suitable sports wear including trainers, shorts/tracksuit bottoms and Mini Athletics vest.
- Hydration is important for Mini Athletes! Please bring a drink along, as it can be thirsty work! Please do not give your child anything to eat during a session in order to prevent choking.
- Where possible we ask parents and guardians to keep noise to a minimum to ensure the children can hear coach instructions.
- To protect children, please refrain from taking photographs. This is in accordance with government child protection guidelines.
- Sometimes our coaches may request a child to have a time out with their parent in order to calm down.
- Parents need to be present at every session and are also fully responsible for their child at all times. Please read our very important guidelines below regarding parent participation for each of our age groups:
What to expect from your first class
Didee Athletes 2-3.5 years
This class is the perfect introduction to athletics based movement, confidence building fun and learning instructions. Parent participation is needed. Initially your child may be apprehensive to follow class instructions. This is totally normally and expected (please don’t worry!). Our coaching team help parents to encourage children to participate within the structure of the class. Very often it takes 2-3 weeks for children to become familiar with the class routine. However, with parental support, patience and guidance they soon become active members of the class and have so much fun!
Little Athletes 3.5-5 years
In this class, our athletics based activities emphasise teamwork, competition and social interaction. Through team participation and working together children’s confidence grows session to session. If this is your child’s first experience of Mini Athletics then they may be apprehensive to join in or follow the structure of the class. This is perfectly normal and it may take a little parent participation to lead them in the right direction. This is normal and usually only occurs for the first few weeks while children are getting used to each other. By week 3-4 children are co-operating together.
Mini Athletes 5-7 years
Our Mini Athletes class introduces children to athletics events through game based activities. This class has the added element of teaching children athletic skills that can be used in all sports throughout life. No parent participation is needed but parents are required to be present at all times.